Painful periods are
located in Balmain,
Sydney’s Inner West.
Painful periods, otherwise known as dysmenorrhea, is a common clinical presentation in women aged 14 to 50. Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine may prove to be a valuable solution or at least mitigate the severity of the symptom of painful periods. It is important to see your General Practitioner for scans to assess for any organic causes of painful periods in conjunction with seeking treatment using Acupuncture and Chinese medicine.
What is the cause of painful periods according to Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine theory? Painful periods, according to Chinese Medicine, are mainly caused by the obstruction of blood and energy due to the following;
- Emotional – The Liver is an important energetic sphere responsible for regulating the emotions and psyche in Chinese Medicine. Its channel pathways passes through the lower abdomen and uterus. If emotions are unable to be regulated by the liver and its functions including regulating menstruation are impeded, this results in pain.
- Excessive or extreme exposure to cold or damp – Living in cold or damp houses or jobs which involve excessive exposure to wet and cold environments can lead to ‘cold invading the uterus.’ By the laws of physics we know that cold causes things to contracts. By the same thinking, Chinese medicine theory proposes that cold and damp causes blood to congeal in the uterus causing pain.
- Chronic disease and weak constitution – Individuals who have been ill for long periods of time or those with weak bodies are often deficient in energy and blood. If blood is insufficient to supply the uterine vessels, blood and energy flow will also be impeded and pain will result
How to recognise
the 4 types of
- Energy obstruction – lower abdominal pain before or during the period with irritability.
- Blood obstruction – lower abdominal cramps be fore or during the period which are stabbing in character and aggravated by pressure.
- Congealed cold – lower abdominal pain accompanied by cold sensation and tenderness before or during the period alleviated by warmth.
- Weakness of energy and blood – continuous dull pain during and following the period, alleviated by warmth and pressure accompanied by lack of strength and fatigue.
How are painful periods treated with Acupuncture and Chinese medicine at Authentic Acupuncture Clinic in Balmain?
The best treatments occur when the practitioner is able to ascertain which pattern or concurrent patterns are occurring. By spending the time to do a proper case history involving inspection of the tongue, taking the pulse and asking questions, practitioners at Authentic Acupuncture clinic are able to ascertain which acupuncture points will best suit the individual and their cause of painful periods according to the four types listed above. This will provide better outcomes as opposed to a one size fits all approach.
Chinese herbs are particularly helpful to further results, particularly in the case where the condition is chronic.
If you’re considering looking for natural alternative solutions to treating period pain that may possibly bring you longer lasting results, consider Authentic Acupuncture in Balmain, located in Sydney’s Inner West. Call (02) 9188 1560 or visit the home page to submit a request.
We look forward to helping you on your health and healing journey.